Moon Phase Wall Hanging

Hey everyone,
Happy New Year! So to start off 2020 I'd like to introduce you to my blog, this is going to become a place where I post patterns and ideas as well as share bits and piece of my life, like a crafty diary of sorts.
After last year it became apparent that with my somewhat unsteady and hectic life, a full tutorial style video every week was getting on top of me. (I just didn't have time for anything else) I want 2020 to be a year that I can enjoy with family, as well as crafting and sharing my life and all my ideas with you. (I was starting to not enjoy the process and I don't want that to happen!) So to compromise there will still be a video every week! Sometimes they will be tutorials and others will just be a sit down and talk style video where I might share my monthly favourites or talk about projects I've been working on. I will share the patterns for those projects here! So you can still make along with me if you want to.
That brings me onto the true subject of this post which is my Moon Phase Wall Hanging! I had been dreaming of this idea for so long, (Since Halloween!) but I had to put it off as an after Christmas project because of everything else I needed to do! However, I feel it's somewhat fitting, a new phase is in essence a new start which is what 2020 is.

Anyway, here is the pattern! (I'm not a professional pattern writer, so I'm doing my best to make this understandable! Please bear with me!)








Terminology - US
TC -Treble Crochet
DC - Double Crochet
SC - Single Crochet
HDC - Half Double Crochet
Ch - Chain

Base -
Chain 27,
1DC into the second chain from hook, 1DC into remaining chains along (26 DC in total) Ch1, and turn work.
Repeat above until you have 46 rows in total.
Pull up a loop and cut your yarn.
Weave in ends
Then taking the top of the base, fold back the top until the edge of the top row lines up with the bottom of the fifth row down. Take your needle and yarn and going through the stitches of the top row and the back loops (Only the back loops) of the bottom of the fifth row, sew along to create a channel.
Fasten off and weave in the ends.





Full moon -

Round 1 - Begin with a magic circle, Ch1, put 14DC into the ring (Pull ring tight), slip stitch to first DC to close round.

Round 2 - Ch1, 2 DC into each stitch around. (28DC in total) Slip stitch to first DC to close.
Pull up a loop, cut your yarn.

Weave in ends.













Waxing/Waning Gibbous Moon (Make 2)

Round 1 - Begin with a magic circle, Ch1, put 7DC into the ring then pull the ring tight. Ch 1, turn.

Round 2 - 2DC into each stitch back around. (14 DC total) Slip stitch into the stitch space along the flat side. Then do 1SC into the same space, into the next space do 1HDC and 2DC. Into the centre space do 1TC into the next stitch space to 2DC and 1HDC then into the last stitch space do 1SC and slip stitch into space to end. Ch1 pull up a loop and cut yarn to end.

Weave in ends.








Half Moon (First Quarter/Last Quarter Moon) (Make 2)

Round 1 - Begin with a magic circle, Ch1, put 7DC into the ring then pull the ring tight. Ch 1, turn.

Round 2 - 2DC into each stitch back around. (14 DC total), Ch1, pull up a loop and cut yarn.

Weave in ends.















Waxing/Waning Crescent Moon (Make 2)

The pattern for the crescent moon does not belong to me! I followed along with a great tutorial by a fellow YouTuber! (Creggy's Crochet) So the pattern for that can be found HERE


















Once all the pieces are finished, go ahead and block them!

Then starting with the full moon, fold the base in half to find the centre and place the full moon in this spot. (I would suggest using a small amount of PVA glue to stick all the moons into place, and let them dry before proceeding to sew them down properly as this will ensure they stay exactly where you want them, and in hind sight this is what I would have done, had I had more patience! ) Using the yarn you used to crochet the moons, whip stitch the moons into place. (You will want to keep checking you have these pieces exactly where you want them if you haven't glued them because they like to move around!)


Once all the moons are stitched on you can attach tassels along the bottom or leave without. I added tassels using the same yarn I used to crochet the base.

At this point I blocked the entire piece.

You will want to cut your dowel to length (Check the length of your channel and then add some either end) and then thread through the channel. Take some yarn and tie a piece to either end of exposed dowel and tie on. I weave the loose ends into the channel to hide these pieces.

Then you are all finished!


I hope you enjoy this pattern! If you make this piece please tag me in your creations on Instagram! If there is anything in this pattern that you don't understand please leave me a comment and I'll do my best to help! Thank you all so much for your time! See you next time!

Comments

Post a Comment